Wednesday, January 7, 2009

honesty

I've always thought that honesty was important, and I consider myself to be an honest person in many aspects of life. Sometimes maybe I can be too honest. I recently realized that it is important to be honest in art as well. 

Shit, maybe thats obvious, maybe I was the only one that hadn't realized that by now. Well I realized it, I just didn't recognize how important it truly is until now. 

Lately I have been listening to mostly emo music from the early 90s, what gets more honest than that? When you can hear a person in their music, or see them in their art...I think that's really amazing. Some artists that are really honest:

barr
braid
conor oberst
bomb the music industry!
tim kasher
kanye west

The new Kanye West album has been a huge influence on me as an artist, I don't want to go on and praise it forever and ever right now, I think you know what I think of it by now hah.

Maybe the only way for me to make something valuable is to have it be as honest as possible. 
I'm gonna work on doing that.

2 comments:

lj said...

i'm really glad that you posted this - i feel like a lot of people get so caught up in their work that they forget about being honest

sara said...

BRAID.