Monday, December 15, 2008

kanye west - 808s & heartbreak (2008)

There has been a lot of controversy over Kanye West's latest release. There has been debate over his use of auto-tune and his decision to disregard rapping all together. Even still, I think Kanye has managed to pull it together and deliver one of the best albums of 2008 and of his career.

Really this album is genius because of the fact that it was even released. For an artist of Mr. West's caliber to put out such a personal record and take such extreme musical chances is amazing to me. The use of the 808 drum machine on every track and use of auto-tune is perfectly fine with me. It creates a very unique atmosphere to the album, one that I have never heard before. I think that this album works better as a whole than any of Kanye West's previous releases.

West has received a lot of criticism for his inability to sing. Well its kinda true, Kanye West is not a great singer. He is average at best, and that's okay. Whether you want to believe it or not, I truly believe that West made this album for himself and this is the record he wanted to make. Honestly, I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments: